*~General Education ~*

Communication

I believe that communication is an essential part of the overall effectiveness and productivity of any organization. During my tenure in the military this was essential and any significant break in communication can lead to more severe consequences; especially during deployments. Course throughout my time in both Tunxis and DeVry has allowed my communication skills to improve and my knowledge to be enhanced.

One of the areas in which I was most weak in was public speaking and in doing presentations and being able to voice my ideas out loud I was able to overcome that fear. I still get nervous when speaking to large crowds but I know with proper preparation I will be ready to communicate what is necessary for that specific task.  Some of the papers I’ve written were presented during audio meetings at DeVry to my instructor and peers.

We communicate in various ways; verbally and nonverbally.

Verbal Communication:

1. Oral Communication: Oral communication is information spoken by mouth; the use of speech.
  2. Written Communication: Communication by means of written symbols (either printed or handwritten).

Nonverbal Communication:

1. Body Language includes facial expression, eye contact, postures, gestures, touch.
  2. Para Language is the way we say something rather than what we say, is another nonverbal code.
  3. Space and Time Language:
    Space Language includes surroundings .It communicates social status also.

Sign Language: A sign language is a language which, instead of conveyed sound patterns, uses visually transmitted sign patterns.

Types retrieved from:  www.articlesbase.com...

In regards to a business ineffective communication can lead to decreased performance, lowered morale and even create a hostile environment.

Lack of effective communication may lead to:

• Misunderstandings
  • Lack of information
  • Decrease in employees’ performance
  • Decrease in company’s turnover, as a result

Ineffective or poor communication is frustrating for employees, and becomes a source of a conflict. Managers' inability to clearly express their thoughts, ideas and demands leads to employees' inability to perform work well, according to the company’s demands.

Learning to communicate effectively can also prevent misunderstandings.

Communication has several components:

• The context is the setting in which it takes place, for example, a personal conversation of a public speech.
  • The climate is the feeling or tone of the communication.
  • The source is the sender of the message, who goes through an encoding process of translating his or her idea into language the other person will understand.
  • The message can be verbal, nonverbal, or even mental.
  • The channel is the means by which the message is sent.
  • The feedback loop occurs when the sender invites responses to the message.
  • The receiver goes through a decoding process of translating the message into his or her experience.
  • Interference may occur from physical or psychological distractions.
  • Timing can affect the communication process.

Economics: camacho_PriceElasticity.doc 

English:camacho_week8ResearchPaperFinal.doc 

Humanities: TeamA_Week6_Final.docx

Critical Thinking

Critical thinking skills give students the ability to not only understand what they have read or been shown but also to build upon that knowledge without incremental guidance.

Critical thinking teaches students that knowledge is fluid and builds upon itself. It is not simply rote memorization or the ability to absorb lessons unquestioningly.

Critical thinking encourages individuals to think for themselves, to question hypotheses, to develop alternative hypotheses, and to test those hypotheses against known facts.

The labs that I’ve attached are from a biology course taken.

One of my favorites included a lab that dealt with the crossbreeding of flies with different phenotypes and within different generations. I had to initially come up with a hypothesis as to what phenotypes I believed the offspring would display then run the lab and prove or disprove my theory. It was very fun and forced me to utilize my critical thinking.

Flies_crossBreeding.docx

The second lab was to develop a hypothesis to predict the effect of an increase in blood viscosity on blood pressure, and then test your hypothesis.

lcamacho_Lab7.docx

Each topic has allowed me to increase my knowledge and application to the real world.