Once I graduated high school I was unsure about what I wanted to do with my life or where I wanted to attend college. After taking a gap year, I decided to start taking classes at Tunxis, originally pursuing a degree in General Studies. Throughout the course of my classes, I took interest in business and decided to switch my major to Business Administration in the fall semester of 2017. I have a lot more clarity on what I would like to pursue in a career than I did even a few months ago.

In June 2018, I accepted a job as an accounting clerk to build up my experience in the accounting field. My position at Insurance Agency Accounting and Bookkeeping has been a great experience. It has expanded my knowledge on accounting concepts and what a job in the field will be like. I have always been really organized and detail-oriented which is critical in an accounting position where accuracy is everything.

Throughout my time at Tunxis, I have learned a lot about my style of learning and how to be successful in courses that I take. I appreciate the experience that Tuxnis professors bring to the classroom which has helped me to understand concepts more easily. One of the ways that I learn material best is through the application of it whether it be work we do in class or examples that apply concepts to a real-life scenario. My biggest accomplishment during my time at Tunxis is joining Phi Theta Kappa, which reflects all of the hard work I have put into the classes I have taken.

One of my favorites classes that I have taken so far is Principles of Management. It was interesting to read case studies each chapter applying the concepts we discussed to companies that I have heard of and/or shop at. A lot of the information from my management class tied into concepts we talked about in Interpersonal Communication, another class that I really enjoyed taking during my time at Tunxis. Different approaches to communication is a big part of management. It is important to analyze your audience and adjust your message accordingly. Effective communication is essential in a business setting so that everyone is on the same page. This information is applicable to everyone in the workplace but will be especially useful if I ever decide to take on a management position.