Teamwork and Interpersonal Skills

Sports Bar Menu

While working with a local sports bar, I was given the task of modifying and creating a new graphic design for their restaurant menu. The old design was outdated and lengthy. The flow of items in the menu was confusing to customers and sections were repetitive.

I used the consultation phase as an opportunity to interview employees and find out what areas of the menu they have difficulty with. I found several things that are no longer even served. There were also a number of items that customers ordered from the specials chalkboard that were always available, but they were not listed on the menu. This communication was essential in creating a product that would make the ordering process more accurate and efficient. We worked together to identify existing problems and establish effective solutions.

We then moved on to the design phase, where a draft based on some collaborative ideas was created. This draft was presented to employees and the owner and created more opportunity to discuss ideas. We were able to consolidate the menu into fewer pages and agreed on price points that would be profitable for the near future. We had to make a lot of adjustments because of recent changes in tax laws regarding alcohol. Again, the open channels of communication made this process quick and constructive.

The final draft was a culmination of numerous discussions and revisions. I believe this example is a good representation of teamwork and the interpersonal skills required to conceptualize and problem solve. This project could have easily taken twice as long if teamwork and communication was poor. The menu was a success because we planned well and cooperated towards a common agreed upon vision.