Programming

I am using examples of programs written in my Programming with Visual Basic class and Object-Oriented Programming with Java class to prove completion of the programming ability for CIS. This class was very challenging and required the mastery of many concepts to solve problems that programmers face when designing software. I found throughout the class that there are many ways to solve the same problem. However, just because you achieve your desired output does not mean that all methods are equal. We learned in class that following best practice standards increases readability, improves performance, and makes changing code easier down the road. 

Very, Very Boards program

PDLC document

Java program

I chose a program that I designed for case projects called Very, Very boards. This was a program that used concepts from each chapter that we programmed as we progressed through the book. This program used various controls to take a customer name, order number, and order information and calculate a total based on set variables and constants. It provided users with the ability to receive summary information that accumulates as more orders are added. This program required knowledge of different controls like read-only textboxes, radio buttons, checkboxes, and disabled buttons to create a user experience that is easy to use. It also required the program to properly code the math behind the order system and foresee possible errors that are likely to occur.

Throughout the class, we also used the program development life cycle pretty extensively. This document helped us to plan out our program in a systematic way that made writing the code simpler and errors less likely to occur. We analyzed and designed the forms, listed the controls and objects, wrote pseduocode for necessary methods, and tested our program for expected results. On simpler programs, this often seemed unnecesary; however, it was very apparent how vital the PDLC is to larger projects that require multiple software engineers to be working together simultaneously. There were also times when I discovered problems that I had never considered while completing my PDLC.

My last example was from my object-oriented programming with java class. This program was written in the Eclipse IDE and took in user input in the form of ten numbers, placed those numbers in an array, and used a loop to total and average those numbers.  All of the input and output was displayed in the console.

It is pretty obvious that programming knowledge will be beneficial to a computer science student. However, I feel like the most important lessons I learned were about the process. I learned how crucial organization is to a programmer and how small things like writing good comments saves more time in the long run. These fundamentals are the tools that I will use every day in my career as a developer.