Reflection

My experience as a freelance web consultant has been extremely valuable to my young career. One of the biggest barriers to entry in information technology is lack of experience. My work has provided me with professional experience, stories of success, and favorable references. I have learned new technologies and gained confidence in my ability to interact positively with co-workers.

Some of the most important skills needed to obtain a career in computer science have absolutely nothing to do with computers. I've learned that good communication can make or break projects. There is nothing more frustrating than having to stop all progress on a website because there is something that was not clarified with a client. My web design and development class helped to teach the importance of planning during the consultation phases. It's comparable to the old adage, "measure twice, cut once", and I can not emphasize how true this saying is.

I have also experienced a lot of personal growth in regards to perceived limitations. I've enjoyed working for myself and embraced a sense of entrepreneurship. Everything that I have gotten out of this experience is a result of the drive and work that I put into it. I don't feel a desire to work for a company and lay low. I'd love to start my own business in the future and be my own boss. The last couple of years has been a sharpening of my vision and focus for the next ten years.

This work experience will help to serve as a supplement to my associate’s degree in my career search as I pursue my bachelors. I think the most important aspect is how it has helped me to grow. I have learned that the only limitation is myself and the effort I apply. It has reinforced my interest in web development and reminded me that if you love your work; you will never work a day in your life.