Communication

Proper communication is the answer to the world's problems. However, that also means that miscommunication is the cause of those problems. I chose an oral presentation from my writing for business course as proof of my satisfactory completion of the communication ability. 

I chose this presentation because it was a real challenge to step outside of my comfort zone. Before this assignment, I would have ranked my ability as a public speaker much lower that I would now. The assignment provided me with an opportunity to analyze the weaknesses in my ability and point out the areas that I can improve. I had to do a lot of preparation for this presentation. Since I was performing from the aspect of a Google job recruiter, I needed to be sure that I knew the content well and the presentation had a logical flow that was simple to follow. I recognized that not memorizing slides and the appearance of being lost was unacceptable and would result in the immediate loss of my audience's attention.

I do not use this as an example of flawless delivery. I realized afterwards that I need to work on several aspects of my presentation skills like limiting pacing, slowing down the speed at which I speak, and engaging the audience more. This is more of a recognition of my ability to step out of my comfort zone, try new things, accept critical feedback, and improve on my weaknesses. This is an absolutely vital skill that is translatable beyond communication skills.

There will undoubtedly be times in my career that I will feel uncomfortable and am not pleased with my performance. The keys are my willingness to try, ability to prepare, and capacity for change and improvement. During my short time as a freelance designer, I've learned how important communication is to completing projects effectively and on-time. Confidence in my ability to communicate improves my performance in job interviews, presentations, and meetings. These are lessons that I will take with me through my B.S. degree and beyond.