Welcome to Eric Helm's Eportfolio!

Welcome to my Eportfolio!  My name is Eric Helm and I am a Technology student at Tunxis Community College.  I grew up in Farmington, CT just a stone's throw from  the Tunxis Campus. For the past couple of years I have been studying Computer Aided Design with a specialization in mechanical design and modeling.  I hope to employ the skills I have learned here at Tunxis in the work force as a design draftsman.

In my free time I enjoy reading, hiking, and taking pictures.  I have hiked all over the state of Connecticut, done portions of the Appalachian Trail up into Massachusettes, hiked up and down the Metacomet and explored more side trails than I can count.  One of my favorite hikes in the area is Ragged Mountain, which has a great scenic view of the reservoirs and surrounding towns and offers a lot of variety in terrain.  As for photography, I use my digital SLR Nikon, an older SLR 35mm Nikon, and my recently acquired 120mm Holga to do most of my shots.  I enjoy taking abstract and close-up photographs because they put a lot of emphasis on the geometry of the shot.  I think a lot of my interests in photography cross over to my interest in CAD, blueprints, and 3d modeling.

I currently work at the family business, DHS Electronics LLC, located in Plainville.  We design and manufacture electronic equipment that goes into drilling machinery off the coast of Texas.  I work as a manufacturing technician, so I am responsible for building circuit boards by hand, working with a soldering iron, epoxy application, chemical treatments, and inspections for quality control of our product.  One day I hope to follow in my father's foot steps and create my own business.  

The following e-portfolio will showcase some of the things I have learned here while working on my degree.  

email:  ehelm0001@mail.ct.edu