Cynthia Catanzaro
Practicum

Taking Business Office Technology was an experience I thought was going to be an easy. I learned things that I thought I knew and really didn’t. I learned how to draft letters in appropriate form, learned to talk in front of a crowd without crying.

Learning something new was also exciting. Taking courses like Business Law I thought would be boring but, was one of my favorite classes. Never in a million years I thought I would even take an online class and most of classes where online. If I could have done things differently, I think the only thing I would have changed was I should have done this sooner in life rather than later. But, everything happens for a reason. By taking classes and achieving a diploma, I hope that I can get a job that pays more and has growth within its company. At the age of 50 I have learned to grow a lot by going back to school.

The organization that I work for is a private non-profit organization that works with the developmentally disabled. Eleven years ago, I have applied for a position as an accounts payable clerk. I have learned to be the go to person for the company. In that time, I have secured a position as an administrative assistant to five directors. The organizational structure is starts with the Executive Director, Deputy Director, Associate Director, Residential Director, Finance Director, and the Clinical Director. The reason I say it’s five directors the Executive Director lives in Florida, and we have a daily conversation of the day ahead and what everyone’s schedule looks like.

The main task that I perform for the company is that I answer the telephone, I screen calls and make sure that the right call gets to the appropriate party. I distribute mail, reconcile the gas bill, make sure that all twenty-two group homes have all the necessities that are needed in the house from janitorial to household supplies are well stocked. I make sure that the office and houses have all the office supplies that is needed. Type daily correspondence whether it be a rejection letter for an applicant, a board meeting, and a team meeting letter.

The team meeting letters are to make sure that case managers and guardians are notified of any meetings or special team meeting are taking place. I order all the office supplies, janitorial supplies, and the maintence supplies. I send out the bidding for different contractual work that needs to be done at the houses mowing, plowing, heat or gas.

I am also the person that is when something is needed I make sure that it is received. The organization’s training is different for everyone. For example, if a person is hired for direct care staff they must go through 3 days of training which include First aid/ cpr training, dysphagia, medical training, PMT training, policy and procedure, nutrition, fire/van safety. Training for my position there is none, you learn as you go and be very perceptive.

During my Practicum I have learned on how to be a better listener and take advice. I also have learned on to very organized. Everything that I have learned in all my abilities have served me well in the job that I have now and hopefully in mu future job to come.  The only challenge that I see forth coming would be that by knowing so much that when going on an interview that I will be over qualified for a position that I would like to acquire.

In the organization that I work for there is no growth. I love the position I am in; but for what I do, it does not pay enough. I am a person who always will see what it out there and apply. If I get the job that is great; and if I don’t, I already know that I have a job with the company that I am in. There are always other career opportunities that interest me. Just making sure that it is the right is yet to be seen.

Check out my Linked In Page

https://www.linkedin.com/in/cynthia-catanzaro-904926179/