Chapter 6

Journal 23

My Personal Rules for Success in College and Life

1.  I show up for every class or important event unless I am sick or there is an emergency.

2.  I complete all of my assignments, and make sure that they are done on time.

3.  I listen in class, take notes on what is being discussed, and ask questions if I'm lost.

4.  I read all the material that needs to be read.

5.  I am not late for anything

6.  I am there when my family, friends, and classmates need me.

7.  I listen to what people have to say and keep my mind open to the opinions of others.

• My most important rule for success is listening to the opinions of others rather than keeping my thoughts stuck on one track. This helps me to further my learning and see what the world is like from different viewpoints. I find people's outlooks intriguing, and if I can develop my own mindset from that of someone else, I will have more variety and understanding in my life. I value this rule immensely.

• Experiences that I have had to suggest the values of these rules are things that people go through every day. People always need to try their best, and I'm entirely certain that everyone has been unsatisfied with their approach to a certain task due to the result that came with it. These are all basically methods of bettering one's self, and they are the easiest and most important steps to take.

• The rules with which I will most easily cooperate are helping people and valuing others' opinions. This is because I have always done these things, and they are entirely in my nature as a person.

The most challenging rules are completing all of my assignments on time and participating enough in class. It's always been a struggle for me to complete every assignment I'm given, because I'm simply not organized, not motivated, or completely distracted. Now that I'm in college, I have so much more work than I have ever had before, and it's more important now than ever that I do the best that I can. It's a lot of pressure, but I have to do it.