CAREER GOAL SETTING

BY AMANDA OKENQUIST

In ten years, my goal is to be a business owner. I want to open my own ARC, under the ARC umbrella, move to Nevada and start the ARC there. The reason I chose Nevada is because they are one of the only states that currently do not have an ARC.  The reason I am choosing this goal is because there are so many people with a disability that do not have anywhere to turn for help. The ARC helps people with intellectual and developmental disabilities live as independently as possible, experience Continual growth and live the lives they want to lead.

In five years, I would like to be a Director at FAVARH, The ARC of Farmington Valley. I want to work in Connecticut. I want to work as the Director of the Day Programs and work under Steve Morris. Working under Steve would be a great work experience and it would show me what I need to know and learn, to obtain my ten-year goal. I chose this goal based on loving my job now and wanting to move up. I believe that I have really good ideas and know that when I am a director I could implement them.

In order to reach my five-year goal, I need to set the following short-term goals. After I obtain my associates degree in May of 2019, I need to continue my education and get my bachelor’s degree. I am hoping to be graduated in Spring 2022. In the process of me going to school, I am also going to be working my way up the ladder at work, by working hard and showing them that I can handle the responsibility. I am currently a Direct Support Professional (DSP), which is hands on. My first goal is to become an assistant manager of a day program. After I show them I can handle the job, I am hoping to become manager. To become the director of the day program I will need to learn all the jobs, so I can effectively run the day programs.

I am currently going to Tunxis Community College to get my associates degree and will graduate in May of 2019. I plan on going on to Charter Oak for the Fall semester of 2019 to start my journey to my bachelor’s degree. At work I am working hard to stand out and show my employers that I can handle any type of work handed to me. I am currently doing an internship with FAVARH with the assistant managers and my manager at the day program. I am learning so much on how to run an efficient day program.

I will know I have reached these goals when I am holding each degree in my hand. For my work goals I will know when I apply for these jobs and I get promoted. I am on my way to obtaining the assistant manager job, I have applied for the assistant manager job at the new building that will be opening in the Summer of 2019. When I do get promoted to assistant manager, I know I will have to work hard to show my employers that I can handle anything that they throw at me. Once I prove I can handle the assistant manager job, they will know that I can handle the manager job.

I need the following resources to reach my goals; I will need the continued support of my family and to work full time, so I can cover the amount that financial aid does not cover for my bachelor’s degree. I will need my linked in account up and running with contacts, so I can keep connected. I can also have connections through Facebook and any social media.

My priorities for reaching my goals are; Working hard at school to make good grades and working hard at work so while I am going to school I can move up the ladder. My tradeoffs include, not going out as much and staying home to study and do my homework. Working extra hard and going above and beyond at work so I can be noticed and move up. I must be flexible when it comes to my hours of studying, I need to know that when I start, I could be sitting doing homework for a least 4 hours at a time. I need to make time for that. I know that I can reach these goals because when I put my mind to something I finish it. When I first started at Tunxis I had little to no confidence in myself and my abilities. I have surprised myself on how well I am doing. That proves to me that I can do anything that I set my mind to.