World Cultures and Perspectives

• Defines and describes social, cultural, and political forces that shape the individual and society.
  •  Analyzes social, cultural, and political forces that shape the individual and society.

The following link will bring you to a "Special" discussion post written for my online Introduction to Anthropology class, which required a more detailed look into the question "How might your sense of reality be different if you grew up speaking Hopi?" the native tongue of the Hopi Indian tribe in the southwest region of the US.

Anthro Ch 9 Refl 3 BA wrld cult.. persp.docx

REFLECTION

Normally discussion posts in my online Anthropology class did not need research beyond the book and did not need to exceed a page of length. For this “Special” discussion we were being assessed on this ability to understand effects that shape and individual and society. Research on the Hopi people and their language was done to correctly relate the influence of language on a person’s perception of the world, or Linguistic Determinism. I found the insight into the Hopi interesting because of their difference in social and time perspective; made more interesting by the fact that their tribe resides within northern Arizona. I analyzed myself as if I grew up with the Hopi language, and found life could be described very differently because of the change in available words.